Law is an extremely complex field that can be divided into many different sectors; there’s criminal law, corporate law and family law, to name but a few. The latter, the family lawyer is involved with anything that is family related, as the name suggests and here is some background information on the various services that your local family law firm would offer their clients.
- Divorce & Separation – It is always advisable to seek out the advice of a family lawyer if you are going through a divorce or separation, which will protect you and ensure that the process ends with a favourable outcome. One such firm, CK Lawyers are family lawyers with an established practice in Parramatta and they can easily be found with a Google search. The family lawyer can help with asset division, child custody and financial support.
- Binding Financial Agreements – When two people are about to commit to a relationship, which might be marriage or a defacto relationship, they often decide to draw up a binding financial agreement that is very specific about how their assets are divided, should they ever separate or divorce. This might occur prior to the marriage, during or even after separation and when you make contact with a local family law firm, they would arrange an initial consultation which will lead to the agreement that both parties must sign. This is also known as a ‘pre-nuptial agreement’.
- Child Custody & Visitation Rights – When the children stay with one partner, the other parent would be able to see their kids with a schedule that is agreed on by both parties.
- Spouse Maintenance – When a marriage is ended, there is the case of spouse maintenance and rather than expecting the family court to decide upon this, you should seek out a family lawyer, who will work out an agreement with your ex-partner’s legal counsel. In the event an agreement cannot be reached, both parties would take the matter to the family court, who would make a ruling.
- Contesting a Will – In the event one party is not satisfied with the will of a deceased relative, they can contest the will and this would be the domain of the family lawyer. If you wish to make a Last Will & Testament, this is another field that the family lawyer specialises in.
If, for whatever reason, you would like to seek out the services of an established family law firm, an online search is the best place to start.